If you check websites that sell chemical products and beauty supplies, they will likely feature bacteriostatic water as one of the most prominent items in the store. This product can be used for various reasons, and you don’t have to be a medical expert to find a use for it.
In a way, bacteriostatic water is a version of sterile water. We utilize it before giving injections as it helps us dilute the medicine.
Even though this is a pretty straightforward substance, you need to be careful when using it for the first time. This is why we recommend that you contact Phoenix-Gen Research if you need any additional information.
In this article, we will talk a bit more about bacteriostatic water and how it can help you.
What is bacteriostatic water?
Simply put, this product is sterile, non-pyrogenic water that is used for injection. It has 0.9% benzyl alcohol which is added to a bacteriostatic preservative.
The most notable thing about this substance is that it has a bacteriostatic agent, which sets it apart from sterile water. Benzyl alcohol is able to stop the growth of potentially contaminating bacteria.
It is completely safe for human use and made from natural ingredients that can be found in fruits, teas, and essential oils.
Given that the product combined benzyl alcohol and sterile water, you are able to use it several times over. The plastic vial contains 30mL of bacteriostatic water.
Once you open the vial, the product needs to be used within the first 28 days. Afterward, make sure to properly discard the packaging.
Mixing it with medication
Mixing medication with bacteriostatic water is a pretty straightforward process, and if you have experience with drugs, there is a good chance you’ve already done this:
- First, start by taking an alcohol pad and wiping the rubber stopper located on the first vial. This way, you will be able to decrease the risk of potential contamination when inserting the needle into the vial.
- Make sure to pull back the syringe plunger in order to equalize the air present within the syringe with the volume that needs to be withdrawn from the drug vial.
- Put the needle at the top of the vial without inverting it. The needle’s tips should touch the substance at this moment.
- Push down the air into the vial and remove the needle afterward. By doing so, you’re able to replace the air in the vial. The reason for this is to eliminate the chance of vacuum creation, which occurs when you want to take the drug from the vial.
- The whole process needs to be repeated whenever you take the next vial. Of course, you will need a new needle for this. After putting the air in the second vial, invert it, take the substance, and remove the needle.
Potential side effects
The most common side effects that may occur when you use bacteriostatic water actually don’t have anything to do with the product itself. Instead, the most common problems have to do with hygiene, the syringe and the potential irritation that it causes.
You might experience issues such as infections at the injection site, phlebitis, venous thrombosis. If you notice an issue, make sure to stop the infusion and assess the situation.
You might be forced to start implementing countermeasures. If you can, you might even want to retrieve the remainder of the unused vehicle for subsequent analysis.
Generally speaking, we haven’t noticed any side effects that are caused by the administration of 0.9% benzyl alcohol. However, the product shouldn’t be given to infants and neonates as it may cause changes in blood pressure.
Where to buy bacteriostatic water?
These products are generally the same, no matter where you buy them. So, here are some of the things you need to pay attention to:
- Make sure to buy from reputable sources such as Phoenix-Gen Research. We have extensive experience with bacteriostatic water and other substances. So, if you ever need support, we will give you the best possible advice.
- Focus on transparent local providers. This way, it’s less likely that something will go wrong.
Buying bacteriostatic water is like buying most web products; you need to certain that the company is the right reseller according to your needs.
The product itself shouldn’t be an issue, but you need to be careful where you’re buying it from so you could avoid a potential problem.